That’s a really good question! We often wonder whether the decision we have taken is truly the best for us and our families. More so when the impact of our decision is long-term and financial in nature. The primary objective of purchasing health insurance for ourselves and our families is to protect our wellbeing and health, and safeguard us from any extreme financial strain of paying huge hospital bills.
When we go looking for the best health insurance, we are promised the sun, moon and the stars with respect to medical cover, health benefits and treatment options. But, does your final choice truly stand the test of time?
The right answer to this question really depends upon the framework on which you finalized your health insurance plan. Before choosing your health insurance plan, did you ask yourself the following fundamental questions:
- Is my family sufficiently covered? Not only for today but for a few years down the line !!! Have you opted for ample sum insured so that all your family members including yourself can live worry-free, knowing that their individual medical needs will be handled under the chosen health insurance plan?
- Are all medical expense heads sufficiently covered? Room rent limits, ICU charges, doctors’ fees, ambulance charges, pre-and post-hospitalization number of days and charges, day-care procedures – are these expense heads in line with where you live and / or what you expect?
- Can you expect coverage soon? How long are the waiting periods for specific conditions and / or pre-existing diseases? Do you and your family members have to wait for too long before you become eligible to claim for the covered medical conditions? And would the coverage be sufficient after the waiting periods are over.
- Are there any exclusions? Does your health insurance really cover all forms of medical situations? Or are there any that are explicitly excluded from coverage? For example, does it cover organ donor expenses, maternity-related expenses, newborn cover, alternate forms of treatment like AYUSH or any other medical conditions, procedures or treatments that you and your family were hoping to get covered for in the long run.
- Are there any restrictions? Are there enough network hospitals within your vicinity? What about sub-limits or caps on any procedures? Iis there a co-payment clause or deductible clause in your health insurance plan?
- Are the long-term benefits good enough? Does your health insurance guarantee some no-Claim Bonus, restoration benefit and / or renewal benefit? If so, is it really adequate for you and your family?
- Are there any add-on offers? Can you expect value added services like free health check-ups, other wellness benefits, family discounts etc.?
- What about claims settlement? How good is the insurance company’s Claim Settlement Ratio? Is it better than the rest or just about average?
These questions, if answered properly, will leave no doubt in your mind as to the accuracy / efficacy / adequacy of choice of health insurance for your family and you. If these doubts still persist, we are here to help!
If you already have a health insurance plan, you are invited to visit SANACheck, a unique service offered by SANA.Insure. SANACheck helps simplify complex health insurance terms and aids you in knowing more about your health insurance plan.
Simply key in some basic policy details to get a summarized version as well as a detailed report. The summary tells you more about the key features in your health insurance plan in simple language. If you wish to learn more, you can easily download a detailed report which explains these features in detail. It also tells you the best or highest limit in that particular feature. What’s more – we have color-coded these features in red, orange and green for easy view and understanding. This will tell you which features are below-average, average and good in your health insurance plan.
All your questions will be answered once you get your health policy checked on SANACheck. To ensure that you and your family members are adequately covered and to avoid any claim-related issues in future, we offer some simple suggestions such as:
- Get-Addons on renewal
Log on to SANACheck to know more for sure!
Wish you a healthy and happy life!