The lifestyle of the urban population has changed significantly over the decades. Lack of physical activity, increased stress levels, decreased sleep and poor dietary habits have become common among many. These habits have subsequently contributed to the rising incidence of diabetes over time.
Diabetes is a health condition that has a major impact on a person's life, both physically and financially. Diabetes is often referred to as the “silent killer”. The probability of hospitalization is high among diabetic patients; especially if they are aged. To avoid paying large hospital bills due to this condition, it has become increasingly important for diabetic senior citizens to invest in health insurance that provides coverage for diabetes-related expenses.
Age and Diabetes
Age plays a huge role in determining the type of diabetes a person gets diagnosed with, depending on how their body handles insulin over time. Type 1 diabetes is most commonly developed at a younger age. On the other hand, Type 2 diabetes tends to be commonly diagnosed among middle-aged and elderly individuals.
Senior citizens tend to be at superior risk of developing diabetes given their age and probable sedentary lifestyle. The body’s ability to produce insulin naturally reduces with age. As a result, senior citizens face a greater chance of developing hyperglycemia or abnormally high blood glucose levels, ultimately leading to type 2 diabetes.
Importance of having diabetes insurance in India
India is often referred to as the Diabetes Capital of the world. By 2030, as many as 80 million people in the country are likely to suffer from this condition. The chances of developing diabetes are especially high in a middle-income urban economy like India. Its treatment can be substantially expensive once diagnosed. Senior citizens suffering from type 2 diabetes are four times more likely to develop heart disease than a healthy person. This condition does not yet have any full cure, and its treatment predominantly involves a blend of medication and lifestyle improvements.
Diabetes usually requires prolonged medical treatment, and might eventually lead to other major health complications if left untreated. Diabetes may even result in complications with the kidney, due to which you may have to undergo dialysis or kidney transplantation, the procedure of which would incur huge costs. Therefore, it makes sense to have specific health insurance for this disease, especially if you are at high risk.
Finding the ideal Health Insurance Plan that covers Diabetic Senior Citizens
- In-patient Hospitalization coverage is provided for charges such as doctors’ fees and room rent, along with medication costs.
- The benefits of cashless hospitalization can be availed under such plans.
- Day Care Procedures’ expenses which arise out of technological advancements, as well as ambulance charges are covered under these policies.
- In most cases, such policies provide coverage for pre-existing diseases, depending on the insurance provider. Most of the pre-existing diseases are additionally covered after serving assigned waiting periods. Hence, one must try their best to select a plan with the lowest possible lower waiting period and a wider coverage for medical conditions like diabetes, cancer, etc.
- Typically, no pre-acceptance medical test is required for senior citizen health insurance. This, however, depends on the insurance provider.
- Such plans have higher sum insured coverage than typical health insurance policies.
- Health insurance for insulin dependent diabetes can be availed through selected insurance providers.
When it comes to diabetes coverage, you get the option to either buy a standalone Critical Illness Health Insurance plan that specifically covers the medical condition or get a regular medical insurance plan that offers diabetes coverage for extra premium. The premium amount involved in these plans depends on factors like age, location and prevailing taxes/GST. When identifying the ideal diabetes coverage option, it shall be a good idea for people to explore options for health insurance with no pre-policy medical checkup.
To find the perfect health insurance plan for yourself or any of your family members, you can always visit sana.insure. SANA.Insure offers you the flexibility to explore various medical insurance features featuring diabetes coverage and subsequently select the ideal one as per your specific needs.
Get in touch with us over WhatsApp chat on 8278271818 or call us on 1800 202 8118 to connect with a Health Insurance Expert at SANA.Insure.
Wish you a healthy and happy life!